From that moment in June when my brother texted me a screenshot of his 2.16 mile run, I've been cheering him on. Well, I've been cheering him on my whole life. This is just his latest victory. His training might not be perfect. He does have two young boys after all. But he has determination and on Sunday when he crosses the finish line, all the struggles he's felt over the summer will be forgotten amidst the joy of post race sweaty hugs.
I asked him if he had anything he'd like to share with you and he sent me these words:
When Anna asked me if I wanted to run a half marathon and help her raise money for the American Cancer Society I thought it sounded like a good idea. It sounds funny, but I didn't stop to think about how much work or time would be involved in training. With just a few days before the race the question I keep thinking about is what keeps me running mile after mile. For me it's that when I run, I feel like I'm running for something bigger than myself. I'm running for those that can't and for those that have been affected by cancer. When I run, I am running for them.
He's a good guy, my brother. This Sunday we'll be running the Wineglass Half Marathon in memory of our dad, who has been gone almost 20 years now. We sure wish he would be waiting for us at the finish line. But in his place will be two young Ungers, full of love and joy and hope. They never met their grandfather, but they shine just as bright.
Please join us in the fight against cancer by making a donation to the American Cancer Society today.

No comments:
Post a Comment