
I had heard this quote many times before my marathon, but honestly, I kind of thought it was a bunch of hooey. My running history may be short, but still, I've never considered any of my races to be life changing. Exciting, yes. Challenging, sure. But life changing? Not really. However, this race, the Chicago Marathon: life changing.
The day started off a bit chilly (41 degrees at the start) and my muscles were stiff. Once I got going I warmed up a bit, but my legs were still cold and the miles weren't passing as easily as they usually do. Maybe wearing shorts wasn't the best idea. No matter how much effort I put into it, my miles kept falling between 10:30 and 10:45. I wasn't physically winded, my muscles just couldn't move my legs any quicker. But I kept running and hoping that the sun would come out soon.
The sun finally came out around mile 17 and I appreciated its warmth, but at that point, I was running out of energy. I felt like I was taking in enough water, electrolytes and gel but my muscles were telling me a different story. I've run 18 miles before. I've run 20 miles before. And at a quicker pace than this while still feeling great. So I'm not actually sure what went wrong. By mile 18, my pace started to slow. By mile 20, my legs were feeling beat. By mile 22, I was getting leg cramps. I pushed through and took a few breaks to walk but at moments I didn't know how I was going to keep running. I had 2 ribbons on the front of my singlet: one for my dad and one for Susannah. I lost track of the number of times I touched those ribbons for strength.
I really did not anticipate how difficult this race would be. Maybe I was just having an off day. But pushing through when I thought I couldn't anymore, well I just can't explain it. It took every ounce of everything I have. And then some. I just kept running (and walking) and running. When I stopped to walk, that's when I got the most cheers. "You're doing great, Anna! Keep going! You can do it!" Then with just a little over a mile left, I gave my last push and ran the rest, even the hill at the end (whose idea was that?) and though my pace was dramatically slower at this point, I was still moving. As I turned the corner and saw the finish line, I took strength from the names I wore on my DetermiNation singlet: my dad, Susannah, Sue, Emily, Uncle Dick, Feryal and Leonard. They carried me to the finish. As soon as I crossed the finish line and started walking, my legs felt like they might seize up at any moment. I got my space blanket, a banana, some water, potato chips and of course, my medal. Then I made the almost mile walk back to the DetermiNation tent.
When I got back to the tent, seeing people who had supported me so much during this journey, I was filled with so much emotion that the tears just started to flow. Hugs, tears, more tears, more hugs. The race was such a struggle at times and I didn't think I could do it, but I did.
Thank you to everyone who was a part of this special day. The course itself was a bit of a sensory overload, but I tried to take everything in: funny signs, people dancing to "Gangnam Style", and plenty of high fives.
And the good thing about a 4:50 finish? Still a very respectable time but it leaves me plenty of room for a PR next time!
Oh Anna, this is such a great post and I enjoyed reading it so much I was teary-eyed reading it all. You are such an inspiration and it was so great to hear you pulling from down deep in your heart the solid support from your dad and your friend Susannah and others. We were all cheering for you and we'll continue to be on your team! Way to push yourself and grab life by the reigns and experience those life-changing moments of triumph!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! Way to go!
Love from your friend, Jane